Welcome to the Black Emporium!!

This is an 18+ Dragon Age Community. If you are under the age of 18, you are forbidden to enter this forum.
Welcome to the Black Emporium!!

This is an 18+ Dragon Age Community. If you are under the age of 18, you are forbidden to enter this forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
The Staff
Inquisitors

Wardens

Champions

Main Menu
Quick Navigation
IndexPortalFAQCalendarSearchActive TopicsTop PostersYour Posts
Important Links
RulesGuidelinesAnnouncements & UpdatesRanking SystemHelp
Archives
User Interface
InformationPreferenceSignatureAvatar
Social
Friends and FoesMemberlist GroupsTopicsFavoritesOptionsDrafts
Latest topics
» Never Been Stranger -- Sebastian x Bethany fic
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby ohhgreywarden Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:19 pm

» Sebastian x Bethany, anyone?
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby ohhgreywarden Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:00 am

» Some Frosty mods for DAI! Kieran skin tone options!
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby ohhgreywarden Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:58 am

» Trash Vint Dad Love
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby NorroenDyrd Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:15 pm

» Height headcanons
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby ohhgreywarden Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:09 am

» Dragon Age: Blue Wraith comic announced!
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby ohhgreywarden Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:06 pm

» I wrote a poem!
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby CocotteJenn Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:20 pm

» Some Oldies but Goodies!
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby Cullenvhenan Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 pm

» Dragon Age FMK
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeby Rhunae Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:59 am

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cullenvhenan

Cullenvhenan
Inquisitor

Love : 43
Pronouns : she/her

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? Empty
What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Did you already have an OC in mind before playing each game or was it something you just winged? Sometimes we base OCs off favorite characters or even ourselves.

Who/what is the biggest inspiration for your DA OCs?

For my Amell, it was Princess Azula from AtLA, since she was one of my favorite characters growing up. They also share some personality traits, though I'll say Amihan is probably not as evil haha.

They even have a bun hairstyle:

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? JxRh7PL

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? AFIUgEx
Back to top Go down
martyrjoan

martyrjoan
Recruit

Love : 7
Pronouns : She/her

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 3:29 am

I use a lot of poetry for inspiration? My first step with creating a character is figuring out their emotional conflict that's at the heart of them as a person, if that makes sense?

Also! I've come to realize I also used an ATLA character as inspiration! What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? 3342666442 Katara definitely shaped my Lavellan, Arravir. The line "I will never, ever turn my back on people who need me" ....Formative

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
ohhgreywarden

ohhgreywarden
Warden

Love : 123

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 3:45 am

It's not reflected in her appearance at all, but my Angharad Lavellan got her name from Splendid Angharad from Mad Max: Fury Road. She also has some of her leaderly qualities.

My Adaar (non-canon inquisitor) basically came about because I wanted to romance Josie with a character who is "Han Solo but a lesbian" lol. She's an ex-criminal, and she's very sarcastic and initially skeptical of the Inquisition but comes to believe in their goals in the end, at least the ones about making sure Thedas doesn't get torn apart. And, of course, she has a thing for bun-headed diplomats.
Back to top Go down
martyrjoan

martyrjoan
Recruit

Pronouns : She/her

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 3:48 am

MMFR is one of the best movies ever made (in my humble opinion) and Angharad is so amazing...I love that inspiration

Also "Han Solo but a lesbian" is the most powerful sentence in the world

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
CocotteJenn

CocotteJenn
Recruit

Love : 79

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 6:17 am

I don't know if I've ever used other characters as inspiration. I might have subconsciously but I can't really think of one at the top of my head.

My main inspiration is canon lore tbh, lmao. I will read a codex entry or a meta post on Tumblr and think "Oh, that's interesting! What if I incorporated it in my OC's backstory?" That's how I ended up with my Surana being a Circle baby. Or how the Fereldan Rebellion became a part of my Inquisitor's backstory, because she's Orlesian and old enough to have experienced it.

Other than that, I mostly develop their personality as I go along. Sometimes, they're based on which character I want to pair them with romantically. Sometimes, they're based on events I want to see happening to them. Like, for example, my Cousland is going to spare Loghain, so I decided to make her a pacifist character who only uses violence as a last resort.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/CocotteJenn
NorroenDyrd

NorroenDyrd
Recruit

Love : 38
Pronouns : She, they

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 9:00 am

My first character in a new videogame is generally based on previous characters I created in other games I played; as I ease my way into things, I tend to wing it based on random OC concepts that flash through my mind (like 'What if it was a Qunari but one raised in a Circle?' or 'What if it was a city elf smuggler rather than a spy from Clan Lavellan?' or 'What if Hawke was only human on their mother's side?').
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/NorroenDyrd/pseuds/NorroenDyrd
ohhgreywarden

ohhgreywarden
Warden

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm

@martyrjoan MMFR is my favorite movie ever tbh, it's so beautiful. And yeah when I thought "Han Solo but a lesbian" I was just like... well now I HAVE to make this character!

@CocotteJenn oh same about using canon lore/headcanons! My Aeducan is a trans woman, and the reason I made her look very different from her brothers is that she has a different mother. I wanted her mother to be a noble hunter who had a "son", allowing her and the child to join the nobility, and once Magda started expressing that she's actually a girl they kind of went "eh, whatever, she's already entered in the shaperate so we can't kick her out now."
Back to top Go down
NorroenDyrd

NorroenDyrd
Recruit

Love : 38
Pronouns : She, they

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 pm

@ohhgreywarden Ooof, Magda's family was definitely more accepting than my Jade's, who was also perceived as a 'son' of a noble hunter and had to run away to the surface to live as her true self.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/NorroenDyrd/pseuds/NorroenDyrd
CocotteJenn

CocotteJenn
Recruit

Love : 79

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 pm

@ohhgreywarden & @NorroenDyrd This is such a great concept! And I love how you developed it in different ways, both equally interesting.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/CocotteJenn
Kelloggs

Kelloggs
Recruit

Love : 3

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 4:44 pm

When I first played DAO in 2014, my original version of Neikea was just winged. So was my Hawke and Inquisitor, though neither of them ever really... fit well with me. Or stuck around for long either. Neikea was the only one that's stuck, but she's changed races.

Honestly, most of my DA characters are just characters from other projects/role plays I've done shoved into Thedas and played around with. It's fun, because I get some quick bases established but can still mess around with them. My three main heroes are actually the oldest three OCs I have - I created them all in 2005.

Otherwise the only thing I've got inspiring anything is that all my elves - regardless of origin - are named after Greek spirits that represent their character or some major influencing aspect of their stories. Neikea = arguments; Charites = charm, beauty, etc.; Keres = violent death; Moirai = destiny. The only exception is Neikea's daughter, Duncan.
Back to top Go down
ohhgreywarden

ohhgreywarden
Warden

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 pm

@NorroenDyrd @CocotteJenn: I mostly used the whole "the nobles are desperate to bolster their numbers" thing as my justification for why they accepted her, that and her being a bit of a daddy's girl so it had gotten to the point where Endrin couldn't say no to her haha.
Back to top Go down
Cullenvhenan

Cullenvhenan
Inquisitor

Love : 43

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 pm

@Kelloggs It's always fun to put OCs you already have into the DA universe. It's a new way to explore them, and possibly see different sides of them!

In a way, it's sort of a "Thedas-sona" lol.
Back to top Go down
nyalist4irs

nyalist4irs
Recruit

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 9:32 pm

I always like basing them off stuff I liked from other games I've played or media I've seen or interact with a lot! For example, my Inquisitor, Lira Lavellan, is based off magical girls from anime I've watched when I was a kid. But Lira was also made from an old demon OC I made 5-ish years ago? Whose design I just recycled for her What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? 1f602 What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? 1f602

On the other hand, my warden Marika has been heavily inspired by a lot of shoujo manga heroines and k-pop fashions for what I like to call her "cute charm" cuz it be like that sometimes LOL
Back to top Go down
http://lakambinii.tumblr.com
shield-of-shame

shield-of-shame
Recruit

Love : 10
Pronouns : they/them

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Besides the Dresden Files, Ivy is based a lot off things I loved as a child. Mainly the Arabian Nights stories, and "Sheherazade," which used to drive my parents crazy because I wanted to hear it over and over again. What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? 1292699739
Back to top Go down
Star Nymph

Star Nymph
Inquisitor (Founder)

Love : 25
Pronouns : She/Her

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Eurydice was pretty much a carbon copy of Lady Amalthea. I had another design for her that was opposite of how she ended up looking, but I was going through a depressive episode at the time and the Last Unicorn is one of my comforts. I go into the CC and next thing I know, Eurydice's got white hair and purple eyes.

I mean she's changed lot since then in both personality and appearance but I think you can still see she was heavily influenced by the movie. Which I don't mind. Anything to make me happy :D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are your biggest inspirations for your OCs?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Pearl :: OC Discussion-
Jump to: